When I find a new TV show that is amazing, I fall into a trance. I eat up episodes like crazy. Netflix was created for people like me. Those that say “limits? what are those? I’m gonna watch all season TODAY.” There have only been a handful of television shows that have blown me away, crafted perfectly and keeps my attention. And I’m not talking straight up comedies, those are too easy to take in and watch over and over again. I’m talking more hardcore drama/dramedy types that suck my soul. I’ve lost sleep over the following:
- Six Feet Under (I watched this via Netflix discs, the day I’d get new discs I would not sleep. I went to class in a hoodie and glasses)
- The first season of Roswell (changed my life in 8th grade! Still the same magic when I re-watch it on Netflix)
- Dexter (love the concept and the tragic soul that is Dexter. I need to catch up on seasons and wrap this bitch up…as it’s now in it’s final season)
- Weeds (also another Netflix binge. This show has the sense of humor I love, a little on the dark side).
- Mad Men (the mess that is Don Draper is one of the best things on TV).I kept seeing ads on Netflix for the new original series “Orange Is the New Black.” All I saw was “prison” and “from the creator of Weeds.” I was sold. All 13 episodes are available online, since July 11. I literally watched all 13 episodes in one sitting, I saw the sun come up.
This show is in one word AMAZING! It has a blend of everything I love: tragedy, sarcasm, complex characters, unique storylines, and flawed protagonists. There is something for everyone who watches this, you’ll find the characters you root for and how you identify yourself and the ones you hate.
This show is great in that it’s a show made by a woman, with the majority of the cast being women. Women of all backgrounds, a truly “diverse” group.
The show is based on a memoir written by Piper Kerman, basically a story about her time in a women’s prison. The show’s lead character, Piper Chapman, has to serve a 15 month prison sentence in upstate New York. She basically gets caught moving drug money for her girlfriend, who is an international drug cartel. After many years, post-drug and post-girlfriend time, Piper is engaged to Larry (a dude) and has a new life…but then is summoned to prison to pay her debt for her past.
Piper enters prison and from there, we meet a bunch of interesting people. Everyone from a Russian cook, a transsexual woman, a mother and daughter both locked up, an uber Christian, “crazy eyes,” a sick and twisted officer they call “Pornstache,” and tons more. One of my favorite things that the show does, is the flashback scenes. So each episode they take an inmate’s story of how they got to prison. It gives the viewer this extra peek into each person’s life.
The show is beautifully done, and I’ll be counting down the days for season 2 (which it has already been renewed). Not only is the story, characters, writing, everything the best, but also I fell in love with one of the correctional officers. When you watch the show just remember BENNETT. He’s a peg leg CO with a heart of gold and falls for one of the inmates. TRUE LOVE that is flawed…those are the love stories I root for, fuck that Notebook shit.
I CAN’T OBSESS MORE OVER THIS SHOW, THAT’S WHY THIS IS IN CAPS. WATCH THIS SHOW AND IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT THEN YOU PROBABLY LIKE STUFF LIKE BURN NOTICE THAT NO ONE COOL WATCHES.